Two words-

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Nipple Shield.

Changed my life. And Maryanne's.

On Tuesday, one of my friends from childbirth class suggested I try a nipple shield to try to help Maryanne stay latched (her baby had the same issue of not wanting to stay latched). I went and bought one yesterday.

Um. Why didn't I try this before?!?!?!

We have been using it for feedings ever since I got home from Target with this blessed piece of plastic, and since midnight, she has taken the bulk of her feedings right from the breast, with only a few ounces of milk from a bottle over night, and none from the bottle since 8am this morning.

It's amazing!! After all this time (as if almost one month is alot of time), I can't believe we actually might get the breastfeeding thing down. I thought for sure ours was a lost cause! I hope it continues to go as well as it's gone today...

I know that alot of literature says that nipple shields shouldn't be a permanent solution, but from what I've read, it is more desirable to have a baby breastfeed with a nipple shield than not at all. (Not sure if "they" assume the alternative is formula, which in our case it wouldn't be since I have pumped milk.) Speaking of pumping, I haven't been pumping as much in the last 24 hours because I want there to be milk in the source when she tries to feed, so I don't have as much pumped milk in the fridge. I guess I shouldn't be too worried since it seems like she is getting enough from breastfeeding (wet/dirty diapers have remained steady, and she doesn't seem hungry after feeding)? It is kind of a paradigm shift from even 3 days ago when I pumped her entire diet!

7 comments:

Bridget said...

I have been using a nipple shield since day one and it is a lifesaver! So glad its working for you too!

Heather said...

I was given one in the hospital and honestly, I couldn't breastfeed without it! 7 weeks later and we are still using it! I'm so glad you found that it works for you guys!

Traci said...

Awe yay! Glad it's going better for you.

RMCarter said...

I am glad you found something that works for you! :) I used a nipple shield for a week or so, but unfortunately it gave me mastitis. :-/ The milk was pooling in the tip and one of my ducts became clogged and infected. I miss it so much but I can't use it anymore because I am more likely to get another infection since I've had one once already.

Love the picture of your little girl! Congrats again!!

Melissa said...

I am SO glad the shield is working for you!

AL said...

so glad that things are going better! I have heard of other bloggers that used the nipple shield and eventually didn't need it anymore...(trinity from 3 is a magic number is one that I remember).

Stacey said...

I know I'm crazy late commenting here, but tonight's my night for getting all caught up! Just wanted to say that the nipple shield saved my breastfeeding experience, too. I also thought it would be temporary, but I had to use it ALL the way through until I weaned my daughter at age one. It became a bit of a hassle later (just keeping up with it and making sure I always had a clean one handy -- I went ahead and purchased a second one), but I was grateful for it!