So much to say

Thursday, October 27, 2011

I barely know where to begin. Life with Maryanne has been really great. We are getting to know her little personality and her cues and what she needs from us to be a happy baby. It is such an honor to be her parents.

I guess a short and sweet update would be good. I have a ton to write about each of these topics, but for now, it will be good for me to at least get some bullet points out to help me organize my thoughts.

  • We started breastfeeding in the hospital, where it was clear that she preferred the left side. My milk really never came in when it was supposed to, though, and after many times of trying to feed her that way and having nothing there to drink, she became very frustrated with the idea of even trying. She has a great latch- she is just impatient or something. Per the lactation consultant, I'm eating oatmeal daily and taking fenugreek. Per her pediatrician, I'm on Metaclopramide (spelling probably not right). Thanks to these things, my milk is now here and it's all Maryanne eats. Long story short, I still offer food from the source, but the vast majority of her feedings are pumped milk in a bottle. I am still bummed from time to time that breastfeeding is not going great, but I am very happy that I can pump enough for her to be doing great on breastmilk alone.
  • She is sleeping great at night- at least I think so for a newborn. She basically wakes up every 3-4 hours to eat. She has almost even gotten herself on a normal schedule. We are usually up around midnight and 4am, and then again around 7. I always try to put her back in her packnplay after the last feeding, but she is usually up for good around 730am.
  • We had almost 3 straight weeks of out of town company after she was born. We are very grateful everyone was so excited and wanted to meet Maryanne and help, but this past Sunday when it was finally just the three of us for the first time since we left the hospital, it was such a relief.
  • Cloth diapering is going AWESOME. We are thrilled at how the prefolds and covers are working, especially that we were able to use them from the time she was 2 days old. I did try a newborn AIO, and it leaked (all over the lactation consultant, haha)- Maryanne's legs aren't chubby enough to fill the gaps, I think! I definitely recommend going the prefold route, especially at first. I do a load of diapers every other day and hang them on the clothes line outside, and no stains so far!
  • I can't for the life of me figure out the Moby wrap, but she loves the Ergo carrier! Not so much the newborn insert though- but she seems to be 100% comfortable and safe without the newborn insert (she has pretty good head/neck strength already and her legs stay curled up beneath her when she's in the carrier), so we've just been going sans insert.
  • Bert and Banana (the dogs) are doing great. As far as we can tell, they have suffered no ill psychological effects from Maryanne's arrival or presence. They are curious about her and protective when someone new is holding her, but when we tell them that "she's okay", they seem placated and let her be. They haven't exhibited any aggression or jealousy at all.
I think those are the main bullet points. I'm working a few mornings here and there, and it seems to be going okay. Definitely nice on the days when I don't log in, though! I can just sit on the couch and eat bonbons.... haha, right!!

Today's goal is to make brownies for Mr. A :)

Do you have any questions for me about how things are going for us? Leave a comment and I'll try to answer anything you're wondering!!

10 comments:

Praying for Hope said...

Would you be up for a picture or two of the baby girl (I understand if you'd rather not)? I am surprised you have time to contemplate brownies or log in for work. I distinctly remember having trouble fitting in showers for days at a time. I'm impressed.

Adele said...

Just dropping by to say contests - and I'm glad all is going so well!!!

Miranda said...

I am so glad things are going great for you! You sound awesome. I definitely hope you can post some pictures soon if you're up to it. Have you heard from any of your yoga buddies?

Melissa said...

So glad to hear about how you all are doing! And glad to hear that everything is working out.

I am so impressed that you have time to log into work, make brownies...I think for the first week or so, I didn't do that much, lol.

Anonymous said...

so happy to hear the great news and glad to hear you are settling in!

BelowAverageAthlete said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you! I am glad everything is going so well!

Heather said...

I wish I could help you with your Moby wrap. Aiden and I LOVE LOVE LOVE ours! There are online directions and a You-Tube video that shows you how to put on the different wraps. Maybe during a nap time you can watch it and practice. I heard the Ergo is amazing as well! Glad things are going well! Don't give up on breastfeeding yet, it is one of the hardest things you can ever do but SO rewarding if you can keep it up! Pumping works just as well, you are still giving her your milk!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I agree with the previous commenter, I felt like fitting a shower in was a monumental task, you are doing great! And I've NEVER heard of anyone saying breastfeeding went great in the beginning, don't be discouraged. I'm jealous that your newborn wakes up less at night than my 8 mo. old. :)

the misfit said...

Wow, you sound like a total pro! And so serene about all the company and everything! How are you feeling? Do you get enough sleep? Are you healed and everything (no TMI required, of course)?

Trisha said...

So glad you are doing well and everyone is adjusting! I was also glad when it was just the 3 of us! I'm glad we have all of the support but it was nice to just relax for a bit. Sounds like you are doing an awesome job!