Glucose day: Update

Friday, July 15, 2011

I survived :) Thank you for all your positive thoughts and prayers!

It turns out my 3-hour partner was very friendly, after she woke up from her nap! She just moved here and is due in 3 weeks- apparently her previous doctor never did a glucose test! She is also preparing for an all-natural birth, so it was really nice to be able to share our preparations and things like that. We even exchanged phone numbers and hope to share rides to yoga after her baby is born, or before if she has the energy. Not really expecting to hear from her again, but who knows!!

Our nurse was newly-pregnant- due in February- and she had tried/waited for TEN YEARS. It was really neat to hear- because of course in the real world, you don't hear of us infertiles all that much. There is always an immediate connection with someone who has struggled to have a baby, that is for sure. (If you're wondering, the other gal taking the test today just forgot her birth control two days in a row....)

The nurse was great- I have one semi-good vein in my left arm, and she drew all FOUR blood samples from the same vein! I haven't taken off the cotton ball yet, so I'm not sure how bruised it is, but I was very impressed. Didn't really hurt that much at all!

My midwife appointment directly afterwards went pretty well. I gained 6 lbs in the last month (oops- I blame the stress/lack of exercise last week and all the carbs this week, ha!), but I am still pretty pleased with how I've gained so far- I think it has been pretty conservative (+16 lbs total at 28w3d), and I hope that I can continue to manage it well. Baby's heartbeat sounds strong and good, and my belly measures right on.

I found out that I failed the 1-hour glucose test by THREE points: their cutoff is 139, and my level was 142. Ha! That made me feel alot better, and they said they would be surprised if I didn't pass the 3-hour. Whew! Of course the results won't be in until next week, so we will just see, but I feel very peaceful about whatever the outcome will be.

Now I start going back for midwife appointments every 2 weeks. Is this really happening? I honestly still can't believe this is ME we're talking about here. I asked her if the hospital has any limits as far as how long they will let you labor and/or push, and she said that any decisions made during labor/pushing are made between us, the midwife, and the doctor- the hospital does not have any per se rules. That made me happy to hear- she said that they realize that sometimes first babies take longer to arrive, and that unless the baby is in distress, their policy is not to rush what is a natural process.

I arrived home just as I was starting to feel really weird/shaky from not eating since dinner last night. I have never inhaled a peanut butter sandwich and string cheese so fast in my life!! Haha :) Then me and the pups took a 2-hour nap....I love these dogs so much!

After our nap, I peeled (is that a word?) myself off the couch to run some errands, the most exciting being going to the art store to get paint for my sister to use for the murals!!!! I am so excited- she has been texting me sketches, and they are phenominal!!!! I can't wait for her to get here on Sunday :)

All in all, I am feeling totally happy today. So thankful for Mr. A, this baby, our pups, the beautiful weather, and the constant support of good friends, neighbors, and family.


suchagoodegg said...

I betcha you pass that test with flying colors!!!! I was also "borderline" and my clinic made me follow a GD diet for a couple of weeks. They re-tested me later and it was fine, no more carb counting.....the one thing about being borderline for GD is that you never take eating all of those fun pregnancy foods for granted again (ie: I felt lucky each time O ate a milkshake from then on!!!). You're doing awesome. xoxo

Bridget said...

Glad your vein held up!!

Coco said...

Yay! So glad it went well and that you found out you only barely missed the cut off! :) I'm really happy that they will let you labor as long as you need to. Hopefully it won't be that long though. Haha.

Lady Grey said...

So glad it went well :)

Adele said...

Glad you survived it - I'd also be really surprised to hear that you don't pass the 3 hour (with flying colors). It's not a very nice test, is it? I had worse luck on the needle-jabbing front but I survived.

The murals sound lovely - and what a wonderful idea.

Praying for Hope said...

Congratulations on the every two week appoinments. They're much better than the every four week appointments by far!

Jennifer said...

Hoping you passed the 3 hour glucose test! I can't wait to see pics of the mural!

Trisha said...

I'm sure everything is going to be fine! You know, you don't have much longer!!! I can't believe it's gone by so fast (at least from this end). Praying for you!