There, I did it.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I finally went back to the dentist.

I went *cough* three years ago (do you think my teeth are moldy and falling out after telling you that?) to this dentist near our previous house. Her office was state of the art, zen, and she was very talkative. I didn't think she was so bad (I think I needed one small filling), but she told Mr. A he needed like 3 fillings and a root canal/crown... and he to this day calls her the "butcher" and maintains that she was just filling-happy.

Then mix in three years of trying to have a baby, and being what appears to be unnecessarily worried that the two seconds it takes them to xray your mouth will harm "the baby" that "could" be in my womb, and Mr. A who has taken up the opinion that all dentists are evil, and you have the two of us who haven't been back.

But we decided enough was enough. (And it just so happens that I was on CD5, so no worrying about the baby!) I got a recommendation from my friend here, and we went yesterday afternoon. Our new dentist is super old and probably won't be practicing after another several years, but he is very personable, very reasonable, and very gentle! YAY. Mr. A has two cavities, but I don't have any! DOUBLE YAY.

The receptionist was also very nice and asked if we had kids. When I responded no, but that we were praying for one, she said "Well, kids will come soon enough." Really? Soon enough, you say?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hate the dentist! We have crappy dental insurance, so I haven't been since we got out of the Army. I tend to try and just up my Vit. D intake, which helps, but since I grind my teeth at night pretty fiercely, I do have some pain on occasion.
There is an awesome dentist in Baltimore that a friend goes to, but the first appointment is $350!!

Coco said...

Hahaha. I'm with Mr.A on this one... dentists are yucky. :) I go once every couple years, when I'm sure I'm "not" pregnant. My big brother is a dentist, and you'd think that would help... but I distinctly remember him holding me down on the floor and letting his spit dangle ever closer to my face, before *usually* slurping it back up just in time..... Yeah, not going to let him blockade my mouth open while he stands over me any time soon. ;)

Sky said...

Ahaha! I love all these dental stories! My husband is a dentist and I work in the office. Since I find it a pleasant place to be I always forget how some people really don't like the dentist and avoid it for years!! I'm proud of you for getting yourself to the dentist!

Brigittemarie said...

I have mixed feelings about dentists. I loved my previous one--everyone was so friendly and they were open later so I didn't have to miss work! But now I'm scared to find a new one :P

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Dentist...ugh! I haven't been in a couple years either. We don't have dental insurance and since our insurance didn't cover fertility treatments either, we chose to spend our money on the treatments. ha! I guess it's time for me to make an appointment also. I only have one tiny cavity and I'm hoping it will stay that way.

the misfit said...

Soon enough was several years ago :).

I actually waited two years between my last two dentist visits (even though I had been told I needed five fillings I had not yet obtained!). My reason was perhaps slightly more screwy: I only have the emotional energy to deal with so much medical intervention at once - the possibility of things being wrong; the irritation of all the payments; the headache of calling to get appointments at the right time, scheduling around work, etc. I just can't do much of it at once. But it was on my list for 2010, and it's done.

Trisha said...

Lol! Luckily we've known our dentist since his college days and then I later taught his son! I agree most are pretty yucky but there are a few that are pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

I hate hate hate the dentist. They scare me too. I am glad you gotten taken care of though.