Low progesterone?!?! (clarified)

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ever heard of the saying that "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans"? That is what I feel like is happening now!!

Here I am, trying to be great and not obsessive during this 2ww.

However, since my progesterone hasn't been checked since June (50mg clomid), I asked to get it checked again this cycle. The RE staff assured me constantly that since they could see I had four follicles and I had the trigger shot, my progesterone should be more than fine, but I was just curious so I had them put in the order.

Oh, what did the voicemail say last night? "Progesterone is a little low, so RE thinks you would benefit from some supplements."

OH REALLY?

The nurse didn't leave the actual progesterone level, and she said she would call me first thing this morning to go over the prescription with me so she can call it into my mail pharmacy so they can overnight it to me by tomorrow (Wednesday- 11dpiui). Isn't progesterone something I should be able to get locally?

When she hadn't called by 8:15am, I called her, and low and behold she is out sick today. GREAT! So I called the receptionist, and she said she'd talk it over with my RE and get back with me. So now that it is 8:49am, my foot is getting tired of tapping on the floor...

More than the low progesterone level, I am so upset with myself that I didn't ask to have this checked each follistim cycle. Here we had rockstar follicles this time, and the poor babies aren't getting enough progesterone. I could just kick myself. Luckily, my crazy optimism has worn off on Mr. A because when we were talking about this last night, he goes "Well, just look at it as now we have another piece of the puzzle. We don't even know for sure that you're not pregnant yet, even with the low progesterone. If we have to try again, next time, we'll just do the same thing over but this time with supplements."

God, thank you so much for my husband...

I will update once my RE calls back and I can get the actual number. I just pray that if I'm pregnant, God will protect that baby until I can get him/her some more progesterone!!!

PS. Since I broke my not posting about the 2ww streak anyway, it might be interesting to note that I threw up my dinner from 7dpiui 5 hours later at midnight (8dpiui).....

UPDATE: HAhahahahahaha, I have no freakin idea what the HECK is going on here- my progesterone level was FIVE!!!!! Ha! They are calling in the progesterone (supp's) to my local pharmacy, so I'm going to pick it up this morning. I asked if there was any hope that I'd still be pregnant, and she said, well, progesterone is a funny thing- over 3 means you ovulated, so I wouldn't necessarily give up hope. Ha. Not exactly the resounding, "no way, don't give up hope!" that I was looking for!! Ha!

Clarifications based on comments: I had my progesterone checked 9dpiui (yesterday).. I know you're supposed to get it 7dpiui, but I was out of town and couldn't get there that day. So, I know it might be a little less than what it was at 7dpiui, but FIVE?! That leads me to believe that even the test at 7dpiui would have also been low.

Also, I have never asked for progesterone supplement before, and my RE as never offered. Since I had a good level on 50mg clomid in June, they extrapolate that if you're on big-daddy follistim and the trigger, your level will be just fine. I have been wondering about this since I began follistim, but especially last cycle and this one (our IUI's), and I am so glad I was persistent about them checking. The RE kept saying this morning how my low level was "curious" because they don't usually do progesterone checks on people on FSH. (Maybe I will be a trend setter!) I can appreciate them not wanting to drain their patients of blood, but I definitely should have asked sooner for another test and/or supplements, especially since my non-medicated progesterone was low, too (but higher than 5! Ha! Go figure!). I had never heard the "a level of 3 indicates at least ovulation" either, but that is what they said this morning. I think they just want a higher level to show a stronger/more follicles ovulation? My RE wants medicated cycles to be at least 10.

Thanks for all your comments! Keep them coming :) Incidentally, I hope the baby is enjoying this blast of progesterone ;-) Haha!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, 5 is low! I'm glad you had it checked - and your husband is right. It's another piece of the puzzle, and hopefully when you get the progesterone support you need everything else will fall into place.

Jessica said...

It is so frustrating that we have to ask to be tested for things like pregesterone...I feel like that is why we are paying the Dr.
This is a good lesson that I have recently learned too: Always follow your instints, you know your body better than anyone.

Praying for Hope said...

My progesterone was okay initially but dropped off too quickly during the cycle that I had three follicles. Definitely not guarantee of great levels. It's a good thing you had it checked.

... said...

Good thing you had it checked. When did you have it done (days past OV)? I have always heard/read that at OV+7, your progesterone should be over 10 (unmedicated cycle) or over 15 (medicated cycle) to indicate ovulation. That number may decrease if you were further past ovulation than 7 days. I just wondered because I have never heard the 3 thing.

Jane said...

Hmmm... I've never had my progesterone checked during the 2ww, but I've always been given progesterone suppositories automatically. Your hubby is right, though: now you know! And doesn't it seem like dealing with IF is like solving some intricate puzzle? You now have one more clue! And it just goes to show that we all have to be our own advocates, so good for you!

Lynn said...

I'm sorry things are going this way for you! I'm praying you're pregnant anyway and the Good Lord keeps all safe until you can get going with the supplements. FX for you and many prayers going up!

Jenny said...

ugh! so frustrating! i'm praying you're pg anyway as well and you get a boost w/the prog supplements!

Leah said...

So very frustrating. I also had the low progesterone before. It's all so confusing. Thinking of you.

Melissa said...

I'm glad you got your levels checked!

And your DH is oh so right. Love it.

I'll be thinking of you!

... said...

To follow up on Jane, do ask your Dr. about always doing the suppositories right after OV/IUI from now on. I'm a little surprised your Dr. didn't do this as I think most/a lot of dr's regardless of your progesterone level. Mine was through the roof on the last pregnancy and I still had to take the suppositories.

The Mrs. said...

Good thing you followed your gut and insisted on getting your levels checked! How frusturating! Good luck girl!

Nicole said...

I can't believe you had to ask- I thought once you start injecatble cycles it was a given that you got progesterone supplementation (and/or checks). Glad you were able to get it locally! :) What administration route did they prescribe (suppository, gel, oral, inject)?

Anonymous said...

Okay, #1: It's ridiculous that you had to ask to have your progesterone levels checked. It should have been something they did automatically OR they should have put you on the suppositories, just as a precaution. My progesterone is low-ish and they put me on them immediately following my first treatment. So I'm really glad you asked them to test. Five is way too low!

#2: About finding progesterone locally--I thought the same thing. However, if you are using the progesterone suppositories (like me!), this isn't always the case. They have to be compounded and refrigerated in large batches and many local pharmacies, including the big ones like Walgreens and CVS, can't handle that in their stores. I order mine from a pharmacy out of state and the cost is usually around $50 for a little more than a month's supply. If that's cheaper than what you end up paying, let me know and I can e-mail you the info for the pharmacy I use.

Alison said...

I'm glad you now know about the progesterone and can do something about it! Just FYI, on my first month of Clomid my 7dpo progesterone was 9.5 and on my second month my 9 dpo progesterone was 4.2 - so I think it's likely that the extra two days caused it to drop even further.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad you thought to ask them to test it. I have never had my progesterone levels checked but my RE prescribed them to me. I hope it helps@

Thankful said...

It is good that you followed your instincts and requested the test! Also, what a great DH for showing such loving support!

... said...

Glad to see the clarification/update.

Always remember, sometimes Mama knows best! Don't be afraid to push for things with your doctor. At least you have an "I told you so" in your bag now if Dr. ever tries to give you a hard time when you think there's a test/medicine that should be done.

Anonymous said...

OMG how frustrating! But I'm glad you thought to ask and push for the test. And just go with your hubby's flow if you can...you have another piece to your puzzle and hopefully next time will work!

Andrea said...

Crazy!! I feel so bad that all of this is happening, especially during the 2ww! But aren't you glad that you listened to your instincts and found out about this problem now?

The Martins said...

A,

This has been my biggest issue with getting pregnant. I had low progestrone towards the end of my cycle and needed it to help implanation. Welcome to the wonderful world of progrestrone suppositories! YEAH! I hope this is the final link and next comes baby!! Praying for you.