Musings (more bourbon)

Friday, June 17, 2011

It is nice to know I'm not the only one who was more than a little surprised/shocked at Bourbon-girl's choices.

To answer some of your wonderings, basically the other 4 of us in the room all sort of had the same reaction, including the teacher. We were all kind of speechless! (And, no, I don't think she was joking.) Then it was sort of the awkward "laughter" and her trying to dig herself out of the hole she just dug in front of pretty much complete strangers, who are all at the yoga class to try to be the healthiest they can for their baby!! I think everyone was too shocked to really give her any third degree constructive advice that maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

Several times since Tuesday, I have sat down to draft an email to my teacher about my disappointment in this girl's choices. I think it is completely awful that anyone would ever drink to purposefully sedate their unborn baby (as misfit pointed out in the comment section), and I feel like someone should tell her that, and since she seems to have no problem talking to the teacher, in my heart of hearts I thought maybe our teacher could say something to her about it.

But I have never sent the email (yet?). I am not sure that I really expect our teacher to make an issue out of it, even though there is definitely an issue to be made, and I am not sure even if I really expected her to step up to the plate if she would actually do it. Even though I'm sure our teacher didn't think it was a healthy response, is it really her place to confront this girl about it a week after she said it? I am sure the girl would be defensive, and I can't imagine the teacher wanting to create some conflict in the studio...

Would you ask the teacher to say something?

7 comments:

Baby Hopes said...

I think I would be more apt to say something on my own... and that's coming from an extremely non-confrontational person. She may not listen to anyone... she may respond to anyone with anger. But an approach with concern and love is often better received than one of judgment (which I'm not saying you're doing, but that she may be expecting from anyone in the class right now).

Maybe approach it from an angle of sharing with her methods that have helped you relax and manage discomfort, adding that these may be healthier options than bourbon, knowing that certainly she doesn't want to harm her baby.

Just a thought...

Anna said...

Personally? I don't think I would ask the teacher, but I would probably sit down and write the girl a letter. Not one that is full of attitude (as much as I'd want to bless her out), but I would calmly explain to her that she has something that many women would do anything to have. As a person who struggled with IF, (I would say) that it's especially hard to hear about her choices and that I'd hope she doesn't take the baby for granted. Then I would close the letter with some alternative ideas for making herself comfortable. I would either slip the letter in her bag or hand it to her on the way out of the class.

Trisha said...

I don't think I'd say anything to the teacher. Mainly because if I felt that strongly, I would just say something to the girl myself. However, by reading what you've written about her she probably wouldn't have anything nice to say back.

Coco said...

Yeah, I agree with everyone. I wouldn't put the teacher in the middle of it. I'd hope that the teacher would do it on her own, but it's not like she has any real authority or responsibility in the girl's life anyway, no more than anyone else in class does. Plus the girl is probably crazy enough to respond very aggressively if confronted at all. Ugly situation. I would probably write a short note... or perhaps just slip a pamphlet about fetal alcohol syndrome... into her bag when she wasn't looking. Good luck.

Maegan said...

Such an insane story. I am the letter-writing type... and I would write her a letter, if it were me. I would say something like, "I just want to share my story with you... we hoped and prayed for years for a baby... your baby is a miracle that so many women would give everything for... I just hope you treasure this time and your child more than life itself." Something to that effect, but longer, of course. She probably won't change, but she's obviously in need of a little perspective.

Maegan said...

Um... just want to add that that was me, paraphrasing YOUR story, not mine. :) Your road has been much longer and harder than I could imagine.

Leah said...

I personally wouldn't share anything. If it was a friend or aquaintance, I would definitely say my peace, but not to a virtual stranger. All I can hope is that if she is truly drinking to sedate her baby, that there is someone in her life willing to say something.